NEKASAN helps asylum seekers and refugees get released from detention by providing sponsorship, hosting, support and a welcoming community. We assist our guests by helping meet their legal, medical, educational, employment, material, transportation, housing and other needs.
Established in 2020, the Northeast Kingdom Asylum Seekers Assistance Network - NEKASAN - is a registered nonprofit organization dedicated to making our communities supportive places for refugees and asylum seekers. Volunteers have helped guests and families from various countries integrate into our local Vermont communities.
After fleeing violence and persecution in their home countries, asylum seekers are detained for an indefinite period of time in the U.S. They need our help, now more than ever, due to the unsanitary, crowded conditions in the detention centers and shelters and the spread of Covid-19.
You're making a difference,
Your gift will be used by our volunteers to provide support to our refugees in our local communities. Donations will fund housing, housewares, clothing, material needs, transportation, and educational opportunities. Financial support and legal counsel will support our asylum-seeking guests until their final asylum hearings.
What can you do to help?
We need Sponsors, Hosts, Committee Members
- Provide housing or a rental for a new guest
- Sponsor a guest as they move through the asylum claim process
- Provide rides to appointments, shopping, etc
- Provide social and language support
- Help with fundraising
- Donate clothing, household goods, financial support, vehicles
- Support the organizational structure by joining a committee
- Help with Outreach and community support